There were times when I didn’t think this day would arrive. On the 44th day of this journey, the house is going to be set down on its new, perfectly straight, rodent-free, dry as a bone foundation!
Because this is such a monumental day, I had to take the day off to watch. I thought it would be cool to set up a video camera and record the event. My thought was that maybe I could video for three hours and then do a time lapse movie of it. That was a nice thought.
Turns out I didn’t need time lapse! The process was so quick, I almost missed it!
I got out to the farm around 8 am and Art and Ricky were already there prepping. I scouted out the perfect place to set up my redneck camera system.
It was a typically windy day here in the heartland, so I knew the tripod I brought was not going to hold up with the major gusts of wind. So I did what any good farm girl would do. I improvised. I found a nice fence post (complete with bird poop) that would provide a great view of the house. I wired the camera onto the post with a piece of fence wire. Perfect!
Cody met me out there and we went down into the basement using a ladder from the basement area that is wide open. We were discussing where I would want to have walls built in the old basement. We would need to decide that because some support posts would have to be put in place and the concrete would have to be poured around them when they do the floor.
We were standing there visiting and watching Art and Ricky doing their thing when I could hear the house making kind of a groaning noise. Cody said I think they’re dropping your house. What? Already? So I crawled up the ladder, hustled down the driveway and turned the camera on. I knew the camera battery was a little challenged and I didn’t have enough extension cord to reach the camera so I hoped it would capture the moment.
Don’t blink or you’ll miss it! It moves that quickly!
The really cool part about it is I got to be under the house as they were dropping it:
Art started pulling levers, which controlled the hydraulic lines that moved the jacks and the house went down a little at a time.
The house was about a foot off the foundation at this point.
And just that quick, she was back down where she’s supposed to be!
Art and Ricky made quick work of removing the beams and the cribbing from under the house. The whole thing started about 9 am and by 4 pm, they were loaded up and gone.
It was like they were never there.
Well, the piles of stone and dirt might give it away a little bit. It feels like we have a looooong way to go! But, we’re a lot further along than we were a month ago!
Now we wait for the floor to be poured. Originally I was told this would be a 6-8 week project. From the looks of things, I don’t think we’re moving back home anytime soon.
Salvaging A Farmhouse is a series of blog posts that chronicle my experience of renovating and reclaiming our 1900 farmhouse. This is a project that is over a decade in the making. We were working towards some pretty serious renovations on the house until my husband became sick with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and died 9 weeks after his diagnosis. My kids and I have been left with the task of completing what we started all those years ago. Every house and every family has a story and this is the story of ours.